April 20, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - On an afternoon when Army held Senior Day, it was junior Jamila Paul providing the match-clinching win as the women's tennis team sent the Class of 2013 out with a 4-3 victory over Albany at Lichtenberg Tennis Center.
A back-and-forth match throughout, Army battled for its 20th win of the season. Albany fell to 7-13 on the year and a 1-18 all-time record against the Black Knights.
Army bounced back from an 8-1 loss atop the doubles lineup to take a 1-0 lead on the match. Paul and senior co-captain Erin Colton and senior co-captain Larraine Saavedra and junior Margaret Iliev picked up wins at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively.
The Great Danes retaliated with three singles wins, including two at the bottom of the lineup. Army took three of the top four flights - all of which came in straight sets. The match was not without its drama, however, as the Black Knights worked for every point. Junior Della Taylor and sophomore Elle Taylor outlasted their counterparts at Nos. 3 and 4 respectively.
With the match tied, 3-3, Paul and Albany's Irene Santos-Bravo battled on center court for the final point of the match. Paul took the opening set handily, 6-2, but took down Santos 7-5 to clinch the match.
The Black Knights host the Patriot League Tournament next weekend at West Point. By virtue of its regular-season championship, Army earned a first-round bye into Saturday's semifinal round. The Black Knights have won 14 Patriot League crowns under head coach Paul Peck.
Army – 4
Albany – 3
- Rocio Alberca Lopez/Kirsten Scott (UA) def. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (ARMY), 8-1
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (ARMY) def. Cheryl Kukkonen/Mireille (UA), 8-2
- Larraine Saavedra/Margaret Iliev (ARMY) def. Irene Santos-Bravo/Cathryn Crummey (UA), 8-6
- Paul (ARMY) def. Santos (UA), 6-2, 7-5
- Lopez (UA) def. Carolyn Pitman (ARMY), 6-4, 7-5
- D. Taylor (ARMY) def. Scott (UA), 7-5, 6-4
- E. Taylor (ARMY) def. Kukkonen (UA), 6-3, 6-4
- Crummey (UA) def. Iliev (ARMY), 6-4, 6-3
- Hermans (UA) def. Alyssa Gleason (ARMY), 6-2, 6-4