April 17, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - Junior Jamila Paul and sophomore Alyssa Gleason won at the top and bottom of the singles lineup, respectively, but NJIT took the remaining matches en route to a 5-2 victory over the Black Knights on Wednesday afternoon at Malek Courts.
The Highlanders outlasted Army to sweep the doubles point, which marked the first time in six matches the Black Knights have not taken a 1-0 lead to start the match.
Paul took down Ksenia Kuzmenko atop the singles lineup, 6-2, 6-7 (3), 6-2. The reigning Patriot League Player of the Year improved to 22-6 on the season.
Gleason dominated NJIT's Carolina Zanotta, 6-2, 6-2, in the sixth flight. Three of the remaining four singles flights pushed to three sets in a match that lasted nearly four hours.
Army (19-6) and NJIT have a history of highly competitive matches in a series that dates back to 2008. The Black Knights won the first four meetings, but the Highlanders took dual matches in 2012, 4-3, and 2013, 5-2.
The Black Knights close out the regular season with Senior Day on Saturday, April 20, against Albany. Doubles will begin at 1 p.m. The match will be top-seeded Army's final test before hosting the 2013 Patriot League Tournament, April 26-28, at West Point.
NJIT – 5
Army – 2
- Ksenia Kuzmenko/Jana Luste (N) def. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A), 8-4
- Natalia Melibeu/Carolina Zanotta (N) def. Margaret Iliev/Carolyn Pitman (A), 8-4
- Monika Graff/Martina Tripcovici (N) def. Carly Riney/Haley O’Connor (A), 8-1
- Jamila Paul (A) def. Kuzmenko (N), 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-2
- Graff (N) def. Eva Sung (A), 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
- Tripcovici (N) def. Pitman (A), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Luste (N) def. D. Taylor (A), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Melibeu (N) def. Larraine Saavedra (A), 6-4, 6-4
- Alyssa Gleason (A) def. Zanotta (N), 6-2, 6-2