April 13, 2014
BOSTON, Mass. - The Army women's tennis squad fell to Boston University, 7-0, in its regular-season finale during Patriot League action on Sunday afternoon at Harvard's Beren Tennis Center. The Black Knights slip to 21-3 overall and 7-1 in the conference, while the Terriers improve to 11-6 and 2-0.
The setback snapped a 65-match Patriot League winning streak for Army, as the Black Knights last fell in conference play to American on Feb. 17, 2002. The 2013-14 season marks Boston University's first as a member of the Patriot League. The Black Knights drop to 0-9 in their all-time series with the Terriers.
Army and Boston University split the first two doubles matches, with senior Jamila Paul and sophomore Carolyn Pitman taking an 8-5 decision for the Black Knights at No. 2, while Madison Craft and Kim McCallum notched an 8-3 win for the Terriers at No. 3. Boston University's Johanna Hyoty and Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis won the doubles point for the hosts, topping Army senior Della Taylor and junior Elle Taylor, 8-7 (7-4).
Hyoty and Athanasiadis managed straight-set singles victories from the No. 1 and No. 3 positions, respectively, while the hosts also recorded straight-set wins at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5. Army freshman Nancy Porter grabbed a 6-3 win in the opening set in the sixth spot against McCallum before eventually slipping to a 3-6, 6-4, 10-5 setback.
Army will enter the Patriot League Tournament as the No. 2 seed, while Boston University will be No. 1. The Black Knights will await their quarterfinal opponent, which they will face on Friday, April 18 at Bucknell's Varsity Tennis Courts.
Boston University 7, Army 0
1. Johanna Hyoty/Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis (B) def. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Jamila Paul/Caroyln Pitman (A) def. Lauren Davis/Barbara Rodriguez (B) 8-5
3. Kim McCallum/Madison Craft (B) def. Maya Parker/Margaret Iliev (A) 8-3
1. Johanna Hyoty (B) def. Jamila Paul (A) 6-3, 6-0
2. Lauren Davis (B) def. Carolyn Pitman (A) 6-2, 6-0
3. Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis (B) def. Gabriella Spindler (A) 6-3, 6-1
4. Sami Lieb (B) def. Della Taylor (A) 6-2, 6-1
5. Barbara Rodriguez (B) def. Elle Taylor (A) 6-1, 6-4
6. Kim McCallum (B) def. Nancy Porter (A) 3-6, 6-4 , 10-5