April 13, 2013
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The Army women's tennis team won its 60th regular season Patriot League match and finished atop the conference with a 6-0 mark following a 7-0 road win over Bucknell on Saturday afternoon. The Black Knights won their 11 regular-season title in a row and swept five of six conference opponents this season.
Army improved to 19-5 on the year, while the Bison fell to 6-11 overall and 1-2 in conference action. Head coach Paul Peck's club has not lost a Patriot League regular-season match since 2002.
The Black Knights opened the day with a 1-0 lead after sweeping the doubles point for a sixth-straight match. Della and Elle Taylor took down Maria Cioffi and Elena Vidrascu of Bucknell at No. 1, 8-5. It marked the pair's fifth doubles win in a row. Senior co-captain Erin Colton and junior Jamila Paul, along with junior Margaret Iliev and freshman Carolyn Pitman, blanked their opponents at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively.
Army continued to dominate throughout singles play, winning all six matches in straight sets. The most contested match of the day came at No. 6 as Della Taylor downed Bucknell's Stephanie Pino, 7-5, 6-3. One flight up, rookie Gabriella Spindler did not surrender a game, 6-0, 6-0, and improved to 24-7 on the season.
The Black Knights improved to 30-4 all-time against the Bison.
Army has three non-conference matches remaining before hosting the Patriot League Tournament, April 26-28 at West Point. Next on the docket is a Wednesday afternoon meeting with NJIT at 3 p.m.
Army – 7
Bucknell – 0
- Elle Taylor/Della Taylor (A) def. Maria Cioffi/Elena Vidrascu (B), 8-5
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (A) def. Lydia Colvin/Stephanie Pino (B), 8-0
- Carolyn Pitman/Margaret Iliev (A) def. Jen Bush/Elizabeth Morgan (B), 8-0
- Colton (A) def. Vidrascu (B), 6-2, 6-2
- Paul (A) def. Coiffi (B), 6-4, 6-0
- Eva Sung (A) def. Colvin (B), 6-3, 6-0
- Pitman (A) def. Bush (B), 6-2, 6-0
- Gabriella Spindler (A) def. Christie Schneider (B), 6-0, 6-0
- D. Taylor (A) def. Pino (B), 7-5, 6-3