April 10, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army women's tennis team swept the doubles point, but could not hang on through singles play as the Black Knights fell in a 5-2 decision to Fordham in non-conference action late Wednesday afternoon. Malek Courts hosted the contest as Army utilized its outdoor courts for the second time this season.
On a mild midweek afternoon, all three doubles matches were hotly contested with the Black Knights edging the Rams in all three bouts.
Army (18-5) later got a strong effort from reigning Patriot League Player of the Year Jamila Paul in a thrilling 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5) victory in the top flight. Paul's win accounted for the Black Knights' second point of the match, as the remaining five belonged to Fordham (9-6).
Army still holds a 17-16 edge in the all-time series.
The Black Knights look ahead to their Patriot League regular-season finale at Bucknell on Saturday, April 13, at 12 p.m. Army, which enters the weekend with an unblemished 5-0 league record, will host the Patriot League Tournament April 26-28 at West Point.
Fordham – 5
Army – 2
- Elle Taylor/Della Taylor (A) def. Amy Simidian/Sarah Ali (F), 8-6
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (A) def. Bella Genkina/Anika Novacek (F), 8-4
- Carolyn Pitman/Margaret Iliev (A) def. Angelika Dabu/Julie Leong (F), 8-6
- Paul (A) def. Simidian (F), 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5)
- Ali (F) def. Eva Sung (A), 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
- Dabu (F) def. Pitman (A), 6-3, 7-5
- Genkina (F) def. D. Taylor (A), 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
- Leong (F) def. E. Taylor (A), 6-4, 6-4
- Novacek (F) def. Iliev (A), 6-4, 6-4