April 6, 2014
BALTIMORE, Md. - Army reached the 20-win plateau for the seventh straight season after defeating Loyola, 7-0, in Patriot League women's tennis action on Sunday afternoon at Butler Courts. The win sends the Black Knights to 20-2 overall and 6-0 in the conference, while the loss drops the Greyhounds to 5-3 and 1-1.
Army clinched the doubles point after wins at the top two positions, as senior Jamila Paul and sophomore Carolyn Pitman (No. 1) and junior Elle Taylor and freshman Nancy Porter (No. 2) posted victories of 8-1 and 8-2, respectively. Loyola's Haleigh Morgus and Emily Hughes were winners at the third doubles spot.
The Black Knights completed the sweep with wins in all six singles matches. Paul bested Loyola's Megan Hahn, 6-0, 6-2, at the top flight, while Pitman prevailed for a 6-1, 6-0 win over Morgus at No. 2. Taylor and Porter defeated their opponents in the third and fourth slots, respectively, while freshman Allyson Hayley triumphed for a 7-6 (8), 7-6 (5) win at No. 5. Army junior Maya Parker dropped her opening set against Hughes, but rebounded with a strong second set to take a 3-6, 6-0, 10-3 decision in the sixth singles position.
The Black Knights improve to 1-0 against Loyola in what was the schools' first meeting.
Army is back in action on Saturday, April 12 when it faces Bucknell in its regular-season home finale. The Patriot League match is scheduled for 11 a.m.
Army 7, Loyola 0
1. Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Megan Hahn/Olivia Ott (L) 8-1
2. Elle Taylor/Nancy Porter (A) def. Katelyn Hissong/Ania Krawiec (L) 8-2
3. Haleigh Morgus/Emily Hughes (L) def. Margaret Iliev/Maya Parker (A) 8-6
1. Jamila Paul (A) def. Megan Hahn (L) 6-0, 6-2
2. Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Haleigh Morgus (L) 6-1, 6-0
3. Elle Taylor (A) def. Katelyn Hissong (L) 6-3, 6-3
4. Nancy Porter (A) def. Ania Krawiec (L) 7-6 (4), 6-2
5. Allyson Hayley (A) def. Olivia Ott (L) 7-6 (8), 7-6 (5)
6. Maya Parker (A) def. Emily Hughes (L) 3-6, 6-0, 10-3