April 5, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - In its final tune-up before taking on Navy for the inaugural "Star" match on Sunday, the Army women's tennis team defeated Bryant, 5-2, and Long Island, 4-3, late Friday afternoon. The Black Knights improved to 17-4 overall and won their fourth-straight match.
Friday's well-contested bouts took place both home and away, as Army visited Bryant and had another lineup remain home to face Long Island.
The Black Knights improved to 9-2 all-time against Long Island. After dropping the doubles point, Army rallied to win four of six singles matches en route to victory. The Blackbirds' two singles points came via three-set thrillers at Nos. 1 and 6. Army's four wins courtesy of Jamila Paul, Eva Sung, Carolyn Pitman and Gabriella Spindler in decisive straight sets.
Pitman and Paul both extended their singles win streaks to seven matches on Friday. Spinder picked up her team-best 22nd win of the year.
In Smithfield, R.I., the Black Knights remained undefeated (4-0) all-time against Bryant with a 5-2 road win. Army swept the doubles point and won four of six singles matches in the triumph. In singles action, sisters Della and Elle Taylor won atop the lineup. Senior co-captain Larraine Saavedra and freshman Haley O'Connor accounted for the Black Knights' remaining two points of the afternoon.
The highly anticipated Army-Navy showdown is set to take place on Sunday, April 7, at 9 a.m. Both teams are undefeated in Patriot League play this season. Weather will determine whether the match is played at Malek Courts (outdoor) or Lichtenberg Tennis Center (indoor). Admission to all tennis matches is free.
Army – 4
Long Island – 3
1. Taysha Blessington/Sanne Louwers (LIU) def. Carolyn Pitman/Margaret Iliev (A), 8-4
2. Katya Yegoreychenko/Aleksandra Pavlovic (LIU) def. Gabriella Spindler/Eva Sung (A), 8-3
3. Jamila Paul/Alyssa Hanson (A) def. Nancy Zonneveld/Lisa Maas (LIU), 8-6
1. Louwers (LIU) def. Erin Colton (A) 2-6, 7-6 (4), 11-9
2. Paul (A) def. Blessington (LIU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Sung (A) def. Yegoreychenko (LIU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Pitman (A) def. Maas (LIU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Spindler (A) def. Pavlovic (LIU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Zonneveld (LIU) def. Iliev (A) 7-5, 4-6, 10-6
Army – 5
Bryant – 2
- Elle Taylor/Della Taylor (A) def. Rosie Bird/Marcela Brandao (B), 8-6
- Carly Riney/Haley O’Connor (A) def. Lucy Bird/Rodriguez Lockwood (B), 8-5
- Larraine Saavedra/Alyssa Gleason (A) def. Delvin-Ann Ammendola/Stephanie Smyers (B), 8-3
- D. Taylor (A) def. R. Bird (B), 6-1, 6-3
- E. Taylor (A) def. Brandao (B), 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
- Smyers (B) def. Riney (A), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
- Saavedra (A) def. Ammendola (B), 6-3, 6-1
- O’Connor (A) def. Jovana Hadzi-Tanovic (B), 6-3, 6-2
- L. Bird (B) def. Gleason (A), 6-1, 6-1