April 5, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Army women's tennis team won its fifth straight "Star" Match on Saturday afternoon, defeating Navy, 4-3, in Patriot League action at the USNA Dyer Tennis Courts. The Black Knights improve to 19-2 overall and 5-0 in the conference, while the Midshipmen fall to 17-7 and 2-1.
Thanks to wins from its top two doubles pairings of senior Della Taylor and junior Elle Taylor (No. 1) and senior Jamila Paul and sophomore Carolyn Pitman (No. 2), Army came away with the doubles point to control a 1-0 advantage heading into singles play. The Taylor sisters bested Mikaela Carlson and Noelle Kaufmann, 8-5, at the top position, and Paul and Pitman won 8-6 from the second slot following Navy's doubles win at No. 3.
The No. 3 and No. 2 singles matches were the first to finish, with the service academy rivals each winning one. Navy's Sam Droop posted a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 3 before Pitman won, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 2.
At the sixth flight, Army freshman Nancy Porter battled back from an opening set loss to take a 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 decision over Kaufmann, while Elle Taylor clinched the match with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-1) victory in the fifth position. Navy's Erin Snook and Sam Droop closed out the match with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 flights, respectively.
The Black Knights improve to 5-0 all-time versus the Midshipmen.
Army is back in action tomorrow when it faces Loyola in Baltimore, Md., at 11 a.m.
Army 4, Navy 3
1. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) def. Mikaela Carlson/Noelle Kaufmann (N) 8-5
2. Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Erin Snook/Katie Porter (N) 8-6
3. Darien Sears/Sam Droop (N) def. Margaret Iliev/Maya Parker (A) 8-2
1. Erin Snook (N) def. Jamila Paul (A) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Darien Sears (N) 6-3, 6-4
3. Sam Droop (N) def. Gabriella Spindler (A) 6-4, 6-3
4. Gabby Winter (N) def. Della Taylor (A) 4-6, 6-4, 3-0 (default)
5. Elle Taylor (A) def. Logan Antill (N) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Nancy Porter (A) Noelle Kaufman (N) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2