March 29, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army women's tennis team split duties on Friday and came away with two wins. The Black Knights swept Manhattan at home and collected a 7-0 win over Colgate in Patriot League play at Turning Stone Resort Casino. The latter victory kept Army a perfect 4-0 in conference play.
Winners of 10 of their last 11 matches, the Black Knights improved to 15-4 on the season and have now swept all four Patriot League foes to date - Colgate, Lehigh, Lafayette and Holy Cross. Army has now won 58-straight regular-season conference matches, a stretch that dates back to 2002.
Playing on the road for the second match this week, Army was tested early in doubles play, but cruised through the rest of the match. Sisters Elle and Della Taylor escaped Colgate's Kelsey Shea and Meredith Rock by an 8-7 (7-5) score in the top doubles flight. The Black Knights had already wrapped up the doubles point via sweeps at Nos. 2 and 3.
Army won five of six singles matches in straight sets. Amongst the victories, Jamila Paul and Carolyn Pitman both extended their individual win streaks to five matches with wins in the first and third flights, respectively.
Colgate fell to 9-4 overall and 1-2 in Patriot League play. Army has not yielded a point to the Raiders since 2008.
Meanwhile at Lichtenberg Tennis Center, the Black Knights remained undefeated in seven meetings against Manhattan.
Army swept the doubles point against the Jaspers and won five of six singles matches via straight sets. Playing at No. 1 singles for the first time in her collegiate career, freshman Gabriella Spindler notched her team-best 21st win of the season. The lower part of the lineup followed suit as the Black Knights won at home for the ninth-straight match.
The Black Knights face a similar schedule next Friday, April 5, as the team once again splits for a pair of matches. Army visits Bryant and hosts Long Island. Both matches are slated for a 3 p.m. start.
Army – 7
Colgate – 0
- Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) def. Kelsey Shea/Merideth Rock (C), 8-7 (7-5)
- Jamila Paul/Erin Colton (A) def. Alex Petrini/Kelsey Wanhainen (C), 8-0
- Margaret Iliev/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Jennifer Ho/Jackie Finn (C), 8-0
- Paul (A) def. Shea (C), 6-0, 6-3
- Eva Sung (A) def. Petrini (C), 5-7, 6-3, 10-5
- Pitman (A) def. Wanhainen (C), 6-0, 6-3
- D. Taylor (A) def. Ho (C), 6-3, 6-0
- Iliev (A) def. Lexi Lazares (C), 6-0, 6-1
- E. Taylor (A) def. Rock (C), 6-0, 7-5
Army – 7
Manhattan – 0
- Gabriella Spindler/Larraine Saavedra (A) def. Lili Johnson/Briana Turano (M), 8-5
- Carly Riney/Haley O’Connor (A) def. Stephanie Tsao/Megan Maffei (M), 8-2
- Maya Parker/Alyssa Hanson (A) def. Alyssa Rosello/Catherine Clark (M), 8-2
- Spindler (A) def. Johnson (M), 6-1, 6-2
- Riney (A) def. Turano (M), 4-6, 7-5, (10-6)
- Saavedra (A) def. Tsao (M), 6-1, 6-0
- Alyssa Gleason (A) def. Rosello (M), 6-0, 6-2
- O’Connor (A) def. Clark (M), 6-0, 6-1
- Hanson (A) def. Maffei (M), 6-0, 6-0