March 28, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y./BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The Army women's tennis team went 2-0 on Friday afternoon, picking up a 6-1 win over Manhattan before collecting a 5-2 Patriot League decision at Lehigh. The Black Knights improve to 18-2 overall and 4-0 in the conference after the victories, while the Jaspers fall to 5-4 and the Mountain Hawks slip to 4-8 and 0-1 in the Patriot League.
Army split its team to play a pair of matches on Friday, with one half hosting Manhattan at Lichtenberg Tennis Center, and the other group facing Lehigh at Lewis Tennis Center in Bethlehem, Pa.
In the Manhattan match, Army junior Maya Parker and freshman Nancy Porter swept past their opponents for an 8-0 win at the second doubles position, while sophomore Haley O'Connor and freshman Taler Brazell teamed up for an 8-4 victory at No. 3 to give the Black Knights a 1-0 lead following doubles competition.
Army collected wins in five of its six singles matches, with each victory coming in straight sets. Porter topped Manhattan's Gabriella Leon, 6-0, 6-3, at the No. 2 singles spot, while senior Carly Riney defeated Caitlin Bricketto, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3. O'Connor, Brazell and freshman Caroline Lorenzini posted wins for the Black Knights at the fourth, fifth and sixth positions, respectively. Parker battled back from an opening set loss to force a third frame, before ultimately falling to Manhattan's Brianna Turano, 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (12).
The Black Knights swept doubles play against Lehigh, with senior Della Taylor and junior Elle Taylor picking up an 8-5 win at the top position. Army's tandems of senior Jamila Paul and sophomore Carolyn Pitman (8-4) and sophomore Gabriella Spindler and freshman Allyson Hayley (8-7 (4)) won at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, as the Black Knights took a 1-0 advantage into singles action.
Paul and Pitman nabbed straight set victories at the first and second singles positions, respectively, and Della Taylor and Hayley took care of business in the No. 4 and No. 6 slots, respectively. Spindler and Elle Taylor each won a set in eventually setbacks.
Army will return to action on Saturday, April 5, when the Black Knights make the trip to Annapolis, Md., to face service-academy rival Navy. The "Star" Match is set to begin at 10 a.m.
Army 6, Manhattan 1
1. Brianna Turano/Gabriella Leon (M) def. Margaret Iliev/Carly Riney (A) 8-7 (5)
2. Maya Parker/Nancy Porter (A) def. Caitlin Bricketto/Salua Pizano (M) 8-0
3. Haley O'Connor/Taler Brazell (A) def. Catherine Clark/Alyssa Rosello (M) 8-4
1. Brianna Turano (M) def. Maya Parker (A) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (12)
2. Nancy Porter (A) def. Gabriella Leon (M) 6-0, 6-3
3. Carly Riney (A) def. Caitlin Bricketto (M) 6-1, 6-1
4. Haley O'Connor (A) def. Salua Pizano (M) 6-0, 6-1
5. Taler Brazell (A) def. Alyssa Rosello (M) 6-0, 6-2
6. Caroline Lorenzini (A) def. Catherine Clark (M) 6-0, 6-2
Army 5, Lehigh 2
1. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) def. Jenai Bilimoria/Abby Farrell (L) 8-5
2. Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Cassidy Cruz/Taylor Hampshire (L) 8-4
3. Gabriella Spindler/Allyson Hayley (A) def. Jamie Campisi/Jessica Graham (L) 8-7 (4)
1. Jamila Paul (A) def. Jenai Bilimoria (L) 6-1, 6-1
2. Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Abby Farrell (L) 6-1, 6-2
3. Cassidy Cruz (L) def. Gabriella Spindler (A) 2-6, 6-1, 10-4
4. Della Taylor (A) def. Jessica Graham (L) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jamie Campisi (L) def. Elle Taylor (A) 6-3, 3-6, 10-8
6. Allyson Hayley (A) def. Alexandra Kaminetsky (L) 6-4, 6-3