March 26, 2014
ITHACA, N.Y. - The Army women's tennis team saw its nine-match winning streak come to an end after falling to Cornell, 6-1, in a nonconference match at Reis Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon. The Black Knights, who lost for the first time since Feb. 16 and for just the second time all season, slip to 16-2 overall, while the Big Red improve to 7-3.
Army senior Jamila Paul and sophomore Carolyn Pitman paired up to grab an 8-6 win at the No. 2 doubles position, but Cornell collected victories in the first and third slots, respectively, to take the doubles point.
Freshman Allyson Hayley was the lone Black Knight to pull off a singles win, as she rallied to a 4-6, 6-1, 10-5 triumph over Cornell's Kristin Quill in the No. 6 singles spot. Also playing into a third set was senior Della Taylor, who slipped to a 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 defeat to Lauren Frazier at No. 4. Army junior Elle Taylor nearly forced a third set, but fell to Cornell's Christy King, 6-3, 7-6 (5), in a second set tiebreaker.
The Black Knights return to action on Friday, March 28, when they split up to play at home against Manhattan and on the road at Lehigh. Both matches are scheduled for 2 p.m.
Cornell 6, Army 1
1. Marika Cusick/Alexandra D'Ascenzo (C) def. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) 8-1
2. Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Kristin Quill/Lauren Frazier (C) 8-6
3. Dena Tanenbaum/Christy Kung (C) def. Maya Parker/Nancy Porter (A) 8-7 (7-5)
1. Dena Tanenbaum (C) def. Jamila Paul (A) 6-3, 6-4
2. Marika Cusick (C) def. Carolyn Pitman (A) 6-2, 6-3
3. Alexandra D'Ascenzo (C) def. Gabriella Spindler (A) 6-0, 6-4
4. Lauren Frazier (C) def. Della Taylor (A) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
5. Christy Kung (C) def. Elle Taylor (A) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
6. Allyson Hayley (A) def. Kristin Quill (C) 4-6, 6-1, 10-5