March 24, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - Army won its eighth-straight match and stayed perfect in Patriot League play following a 7-0 win over visiting Lehigh on Sunday afternoon at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The Black Knights improved to 13-3 and extended their Patriot League regular-season win streak to 57 matches.
A day after defeating Lafayette and Holy Cross by identical 7-0 scores, it was déjà vu for head coach Paul Peck and his Black Knights on Sunday as they improved to 25-2 all-time against Lehigh.
Once again, Army opened the match by sweeping the doubles point and taking a 1-0 lead into singles action. Della and Elle Taylor won for the third-straight time at No. 1 doubles, while Erin Colton and Jamila Paul recorded their team-best 14th doubles win this season. Margaret Iliev and Carolyn Pitman teamed to win their fourth-straight doubles match at No. 3.
Army won five of six singles matches in straight sets. The lone three-set test of the afternoon came at No. 2 as rookie Eva Sung outlasted Lehigh's Abby Farrell, 6-3, 4-6, 10-7. Paul improved to 7-0 when playing atop the singles lineup following a 6-4, 6-4 triumph against Jenai Belloria.
Pitman collected her 11th singles win of the year at No. 3, while Elle Taylor won her ninth match of the season in the fourth flight. Iliev blanked Lehigh's Molly Brooks at No. 5, and freshman Gabriella Spindler stepped in to stretch her singles win streak to six matches and improve to 20-6 on the season. Spindler is the first Army player to eclipse the 20-win plateau this year.
The 13-time conference champion Black Knights take a break from Patriot League play as they travel to Syracuse on Wednesday, March 27. The team's first dual-match road test of the year is slated to start at 1 p.m.
Army – 7
Lehigh – 0
- Elle Taylor/Della Taylor (A) def. Jenai Belloria/Abby Farrell (L), 8-4
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (A) def. Taylor Hampshire/Alexandra Kaminetsky (L), 8-2
- Margaret Iliev/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Jill Sloand/Molly Brooks (L), 8-2
- Paul (A) def. Belloria (L), 6-4, 6-4
- Eva Sung (A) def. Farrell (L), 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
- Pitman (A) def. Kaminetsky (L), 6-2, 6-1
- E. Taylor (A) def. Emily Bruch (L), 6-1, 6-3
- Iliev (A) def. Brooks (L), 6-0, 6-0
- Gabriella Spindler (A) def. Sloand (L), 6-1, 6-1