Feb. 16, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army women's tennis team posted its fifth win of the season on Saturday afternoon, avenging a 4-3 loss to Fairleigh Dickinson last season with a 5-2 win at Lichtenberg Tennis Center this season. The Black Knights close out play this weekend with a 2-1 record and a 5-1 overall mark.
Playing at first singles for the first time this season, Paul helped score two of Army's five points on the afternoon. She teamed with senior Erin Colton to win an 8-6 doubles match before dispatching FDU's Anna Rapoport in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
Freshman Eva Sung outlasted Egzona Morina at second singles, while Della Taylor and Gabriella Spindler each registered straight-set victories at fifth and sixth singles, respectively.
Army won the doubles point for the second match in a row, despite a loss in the top spot. Taylor and younger sister, Elle, came up just short in an 8-7 (7-4) marathon decision.
The Black Knights once again return to Lichtenberg Tennis Center for a trio of matches next weekend, as Army welcomes Rutgers (Friday), Cornell (Saturday) and Connecticut (Sunday).
Army – 5
Fairleigh Dickinson – 2
- Egzona Mornia/Celine Maier (F) def. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A), 8-7 (7-4)
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (A) def. Anna Rapoport/Dina Guzairova (F), 8-6
- Carolyn Pitman/Margaret Iliev (A) def. Manu Leme/Gaby Serrate (F), 8-0
- Paul (A) def. Rapoport (F), 6-4, 6-4
- Eva Sung (A) def. Morina (F), 1-6, 6-4 (11-9)
- Maier (F) def. Iliev (A), 6-3, 6-1
- Guzairova (F) def. E. Taylor (A), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
- D. Taylor (A) def. Leme (F), 6-2, 6-2
- Gabriella Spindler (A) def. Serrate (F), 6-0, 6-0