Feb. 15, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - Playing its first matches in just under two weeks, the Army women's tennis team split a pair of Friday matches at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. Massachusetts edged the Black Knights, 4-3, before Army handed visiting St. Bonaventure a 6-1 loss.
Army and UMass battle point for point in Friday's opener, continuing what has been a heated series of late. For the second year in a row, the Minutewomen outlasted the Black Knights, 4-3. After taking the doubles point, UMass used wins in the middle of the lineup to secure the victory. Army senior Erin Colton and junior Jamila Paul posted victories at first and second singles, respectively.
In the nightcap, long points and plenty of tiebreakers scattered the evening as Army downed St. Bonaventure, 6-1. The Black Knights swept the doubles point, which included a default win in the third flight. A pair of dominating 6-0, 6-0 wins for Alyssa Gleason and Haley O'Connor highlighted singles play. Army is now 6-0 all-time against the Bonnies.
Army returns to the court to host Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday at 11 a.m.
UMass – 4
Army – 3
- Yuliana Motyl/Chantal Swiszcz (U) def. Elle Taylor/Della Taylor (A), 8-2
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (A) def. Chanel Glasper/Sonia Bokhari (U), 8-4
- Jessica Podlofsky/Arielle Griffin (U) def. Margaret Iliev/Carolyn Pitman (A), 8-6
- Colton (A) def. Bokhari (U), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Paul (A) def. Motyl (U), 6-1, 6-2
- Podlofsky (U) def. Eva Sung (A), 7-5, 6-1
- Griffin (U) def. Iliev (A), 6-3, 7-5
- Glasper (U) def. Pitman (A), 6-4, 4-6, 6-7 (6,4)
- Gabriella Spindler (A) def. Jocelyn Providence (U), 6-0, 7-6 (7,4)
Army – 6
St. Bonaventure – 1
- Jamila Paul/Larraine Saavedra (A) def. Fatya Amiri/Marissa Brossard (B), 8-7 (7-5)
- Haley O’Connor/Eva Sung (A) def. Kathryn Kvas/Riley Archer (B), 8-1
- Gabriella Spindler/Margaret Iliev (A), def.
- Elle Taylor (A) def. Amiri (B), 6-2, 6-3
- Della Taylor (A) def. Brossard (B), 2-6, 7-6 (10-8), 11-9
- Kvas (B) def. Saavedra (A), 3-6, 7-6 (3), 10-6
- O’Connor (A) def. Archer (B), 6-0, 6-0
- Alyssa Gleason (A) def. Jillian Hammell (B), 6-0, 6-0
- Gabriella Spindler (A), def.