2004 NFCA Leadoff Classic Diary

<< Ashlie Christian >>

Diary Entries
 • April 12
 • April 6
 • March 23
 • March 7
 • Feb. 29
 • Feb. 28
 • Feb. 27
 • Feb. 26

The Army softball team will kick off its season Feb. 27 at the NFCA Leadoff Classic in Columbus, Ga. Senior team captain Ashlie Christian will be keeping a running diary throughout the tournament so check back frequently to get the inside scoop on the Army softball team!

February 29

Sunday morning we had an early game. We got up and headed off to the field to play UMASS. All the girls on the team seemed excited and ready to play. Neither us or UMASS could push a run across until the third inning when UMASS got on the board, then in the fourth inning UMASS put the game out of reach. We just couldn't quite seem to get a run across the plate. We had some opportunities, but never could get everything to come together. This was our last game of the weekend.

We were disappointed with the outcomes of the games this weekend, but there were a lot of positive things that we could take out of it. It was definitely a great opportunity for us to get to play these games. It gave us some good competition and even though we didn't put together a win, we realized that we COULD win. We had a close game with Texas, and hung in there with Northwestern, and even the Washington game was a lot closer than the score would indicate. We even scored the only run that the Olympic team had given up in Georgia! We played hard and I think that we will learn a lot from this weekend that we can use during the rest of the season and especially in Patriot League play.

After the game we went back to the hotel and packed our bags. My parents and my grandma had flown out from Idaho to watch the games, and I had to say goodbye to them because they were flying back. It was so wonderful to have them be able to share this weekend with me and the team. A lot of the girls' families were here this weekend, which is one thing I love about our team, that we have tremendous support from all the families. We left the hotel and went to lunch as a team, then took the long bus ride to the airport in Atlanta. We had several hours in Atlanta before our flight left so we went to the USO and relaxed. In the airport we ran into a few other softball teams that were there for the tournament, they all wanted to know which girl hit the homerun against the Olympic Team. We finally made it back to West Point early in the morning.

It was a busy weekend, there seemed to be no free time, but it was definitely worthwhile. I really think that this experience prepared us for the rest of the season. It was nice to finally get outside and play on softball fields instead of practicing three times a week in the field house.


Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here