Army & American Battle To 0-0 OT Draw In Women's Soccer

Box Score

WEST POINT, N.Y. - Army had the upper hand in shots, but American keeper Lindsey Farthing made a key save on a 35-yard shot by Julian Stallard in the final seconds of double overtime as the two teams settled for a 0-0 draw in a Patriot League women's soccer game at Clinton Field on Senior Day.

The tie is the first of the season for both the Black Knights (11-3-1, 2-0-1) and Eagles (5-9-1, 1-1-1 PL) and is the fifth in the series in the last seven games. The last three overtimes have been 0-0 draws and only three goals have been scored the last four years. The blanking is Army's 12th of the season as the Black Knights close to within one of the school mark of 13 shutouts set in 1993.

Army headed into Sunday's competition tied with Bucknell for first place in the league with a 2-0 mark, but took over sole possession of first place in the league after the Bison fell to Lehigh, 2-1.

The Black Knights outshot American 16-4 along with taking seven corner kicks, but could not get one past Farthing who made two of her five saves in the second overtime after pulling up with three in regulation. The Eagles' lone shot on goal was taken just 44 seconds in the first sudden death overtime on a header by Shaena Alfonsie that Army goalkeeper Alex Lostetter grabbed in recording her third conference shutout and seventh of the season to boost her career mark to 27 solo shutouts and combined at 30.

Army senior midfielders Kelley Robbins and Carlie Turnnidge combined for seven of Army's 16 shots with Erringer Helbling following with three attempts.

Turnnidge took the first shot of the game five minutes into the match from inside that box that was saved by Farthing. Four minutes later American's Brooke Sheppard dribbled toward the near left corner of the net, but her close range shot hit the outside of the net for the Eagles' lone attempt in the first half.

Army's final two shots of the six taken in the first half, a 35-yarder by Molly McGuigan off a free kick, and a shot just inside the box by Helbling, went over the net. In the 33rd minute, Helbling beat a pair of defenders and was headed toward the goal when Army was whistled for an offsides call.

The Black Knights outshot the Eagles 5-1 in the second half with their two shots on goal coming late in regulation. Farthing rejected Robbins' attempt in the 75th minute, then pulled up with the ball following a 40-yard shot on McGuigan's free kick in the 87th minute as the teams headed into overtime.

Three shots were taken in the first overtime with Army booting back-to-back attempts by Helbling and Katie Wacker less than two minutes that went wide.

Army took three shots in the second overtime with two on goal. Turnnidge took the first at the 103 mark and her shot was heading to the left corner that Farthing easily snagged. The final attempt with 14 seconds left was the most dangerous of the game when Stallard booted a loose ball from 35 yards that was headed toward the top of the net, but Farthing leaped high in the air and pushed the ball over the crossbar.

"We still have a shutout along with a point in Patriot League play," said second-year head coach Stefanie Golan following the draw. "We would rather have the win and three points, but the next game after playing Navy (Army defeated the Midshipmen 1-0  Friday evening) is always one of the toughest games for us to play. I felt the team came out and battled hard and gave what they could and it ended scoreless across the board.

"We are going to have to continue to focus on our finishing and our composure in and around the box, but we have to get back to doing a good job of keeping the ball and not having it chased down quite as much so that we have a lot of energy. We will take two days off, then it is back to-business as usual as we concentrate on Lafayette next weekend."

Seniors Candice Bryan, Lostetter, Robbins and Turnnidge all drew starts in their final regular-season appearance at Clinton Field Sunday afternoon.

"We have done great this season and a tie is bound to happen," said Turnnidge at the conclusion of the game. "We are the type of team that will come back from it. We will get over it and learn from it. We always came out pumped up and ready to play. Unfortunately we didn't get the shot on goal to win the game. "

Army heads to the road for its final four regular-season league games starting with Lafayette on Saturday for the lone game of the week. The Black Knights visit Bucknell (Oct. 22) and Colgate (Oct. 24) followed by Holy Cross on Oct. 29. The winner of the regular-season hosts the Patriot League Tournament Nov. 5 and 7.

NOTES: Army's Senior Day on Oct. 10 is the earliest in the history of the program ... the Black Knights closed out play at Clinton Field with a 7-1-1 mark ... the lone blemish was a 2-1 overtime loss to Brown ... Army is 1-1-1 in overtime games this season ... the Black Knights are  5-1-1 in their last seven games ... in other Patriot League games today, Lehigh defeated Bucknell 2-1, Navy defeated Holy Cross 1-0 and Colgate posted its first win in a 2-1 double overtime decision over Lafayette.

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here