Army Wins Three Matches In Session II Of NCAAs

Brian Harvey

Brian Harvey

March 20, 2014

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla.  – Brian Harvey won twice and Paul Hancock won his match as Session II of the NCAA Wrestling Championships wrapped up at the Chesapeake Energy Center.

While Army went 0-3 in the opening session, the evening was a different story as three Army wrestlers combined to go 3-1 in consolation bouts.

Hancock and Harvey will wrestle in Session III beginning at 11 a.m. Eastern on Friday.

Bryce Barnes dropped his consolation bout and saw his season come to an end.

Harvey was the first Army wrestler to compete in the second session, against Levin Clemons of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

Harvey secured a takedown in the first period and after Clemons choose neutral in the second, he earned a takedown tying the match at two.

Harvey chose down in the final period and worked an escape with 40 seconds remaining for a 3-2 victory. Harvey improved to 29-12 on the season with his victory.

In Harvey’s second match of the second session, he faced Kyle Meyer of Stanford. Harvey was the aggressor earlier and was rewarded with a takedown with less than 45 seconds remaining in the opening period.

Harvey chose down in the second period and secured a reversal midway through the stanza and led 4-0 later five minutes.

The wrestlers started neutral in the final period and Harvey collected another takedown. He allowed an escape and secured another takedown. His point for riding time was the final point in a 9-1 major decision as he improved to 30-12.

Hancock gave up a first period takedown to Old Dominion’s Tristan Warner but battled for an escape point later in the stanza.

Hancock was on top to start the second period and rode Warner for most of the period before securing a reversal for a 3-2 lead after five minutes.

Hancock was in the down position in the final period and worked a reversal and a pair of near fall points for the 7-2 for the final margin of victory. Hancock improved to 28-13.

Barnes collected a takedown a minute in the first period of his match against Shane Woods of Wyoming. Woods later escaped but Barnes matched the point with a second-period escape of his own for a 3-1 lead midway through the second period.

Woods secured a takedown late in the second period to knot the match at 3. The takedown was reviewed on video and confirmed.

Woods escaped from the bottom position in the final period and held on for the 3-2 win. Barnes concluded his season with a 21-15 mark.

Paul Hancock, 157 pounds
First Round: pinned by #5 Isaac Jordan, Wisconsin, 1:26
First Round Consolation: def. Tristan Warner, Old Dominion, 7-2
Second Round Consolation: vs. #11 Taylor Walsh, Indiana

Brian Harvey, 174 pounds
Pigtails: lost to Joe Latham, Oregon State, 7-6
Pigtails Consolation: def. Levi Clemons, Tennessee Chattanooga, 3-2
First Round Consolation: def. Kyle Meyer, Stanford, 9-1
Second Round Consolation: vs. #11 Stephen Doty, Virginia

Bryce Barnes, 197 pounds
First Round: lost to #6 Richard Perry, Bloomsburg, 12-6
First Round Consolation: lost to Shane Woods, Wyoming, 4-3

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here