April 12, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Freshman Grant Riechmann posted a 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 win at the No. 3 singles position to help the Army men's tennis team clinch a 4-3 Patriot League win over service-academy rival Navy on Saturday afternoon at USNA Tennis Courts. The Black Knights improve to 16-4 overall and 6-0 in the league, while the Midshipmen fall to 15-9 and 2-2.
Saturday marked the fourth time in the last five years, and the ninth time in the last 10, that the "Star" Match has been played to a 4-3 final.
Navy commanded a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. The Mids' top pairing of Austin Jones and Thomas Pecor claimed an 8-1 win before the third duo of Alex Gaines and Krishna Jana won 8-4. The second doubles match went unfinished.
Wins from Army junior Alex Van Velzer at the No. 6 singles position and sophomore Harrison McCormick at No. 5 gave the Black Knights a 2-1 advantage. Van Velzer topped Gaines, 6-2, 6-1, while McCormick bested Jana, 6-4, 6-3. Navy evened the count at 2-2 after Calvin Mark earned a 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 victory at the top flight, but sophomore Caison Best's 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 4 put the Black Knights back in front.
Navy's Austin Jones won a three-set battle in the second slot to make the match 3-3 with the No. 3 singles contest still unfinished. Riechmann faced off against Navy's Blake Daniel in the third position and took the first set 7-5 before Daniel answered with a 6-2 win in the second set. Riechmann prevailed with a 6-3 win in the third and final set to clinch the win for the visitors, sending them to their eighth straight victory.
Army improves to 34-59 all-time against Navy. The Black Knights return to the court on Tuesday, April 15 when they travel to face regional rivals Marist at 3:30 p.m.
Army 4, Navy 3
1. Austin Jones/Thomas Pecor (N) def. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (A) 8-1
2. Blake Daniel/Calvin Mark (N) def. Asika Isoh/Alex Van Velzer (A) 6-5 (unfinished)
3. Alex Gaines/Krishna Jana (N) def. Henry Jang-Milsten/Peter Sienko (A) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Calvin Mark (N) def. Asika Isoh (A) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Austin Jones (N) def. Sam Lampman (A) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Blake Daniel (N) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
4. Caison Best (A) def. Thomas Pecor (N) 6-4, 6-3
5. Harrison McCormick (A) def. Krishna Jana (N) 6-4, 6-3
6. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Alex Gaines (N) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 5, 1, 4, 2, 3