April 5, 2014
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The Army men's tennis team secured its sixth victory in a row following a 6-1 win over Lehigh in a Patriot League match on Saturday afternoon at the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Black Knights move to 14-4 overall and 4-0 in the league, while the Mountain Hawks fall to 8-6 and 0-1.
All three Army doubles pairings recorded victories over their counterparts, including the duo of sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann, who grabbed an 8-3 win at No. 1. Senior Asika Isoh and junior Alex Van Velzer secured an 8-5 victory at No. 2, and sophomore Austin McCasin and freshman Kyle Barnes managed an 8-4 win from the third position.
Isoh posted a 6-4, 6-0 win over Lehigh's Mark Goldberg in the top singles flight, while Ben Gilman collected a 6-4, 6-1 victory for the hosts at No. 2. At the third spot, Riechmann suffered a second-set defeat, but rallied back to win, 6-2, 6-7, 6-4, while Army sophomore Caison Best triumphed to take a 6-4, 6-1 decision at No. 4. McCormick dropped his opening set against Lehigh's Timur Chernykh at the fifth singles position, but responded with a 3-6, 6-0, 10-7 victory, while Van Velzer registered a 6-2, 6-0 win in the sixth slot.
The Black Knights improve to 42-3 all-time against the Mountain Hawks.
Army is back in action tomorrow, when it travels to Baltimore, Md., for an 11 a.m. match against Loyola.
Army 6, Lehigh 1
1. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (A) def. Mark Goldberg/Colin Nardella (L) 8-3
2. Asika Isoh/Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Ben Gilman/Jeremy Kochman (L) 8-5
3. Austin McCasin/Kyle Barnes (A) def. Tyler Hansen/Timur Chernykh (L) 8-4
1. Asika Isoh (A) def. Mark Goldberg (L) 6-4, 6-0
2. Ben Gilman (L) def. Sam Lampman (A) 6-4, 6-1
3. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Jeremy Kochman (L) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
4. Caison Best (A) def. Tyler Hansen (L) 6-4, 6-1
5. Harrison McCormick (A) def. Timur Chernykh (L) 3-6, 6-0, 10-7
6. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Ethan Bogard (L) 6-2, 6-0