March 28, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army men's tennis team collected its fourth consecutive victory, bettering Sacred Heart, 7-0, in a nonconference match on Friday evening at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. With the win, the Black Knights improve to 12-4 overall, while the Pioneers drop to 3-8.
Sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann played to an 8-5 victory over Sacred Heart's top tandem of Kevin Budrawich and Matt Dean in the No. 1 doubles match, while sophomore Austin McCasin and freshman Kyle Barnes posted an 8-1 win at No. 2 to secure the doubles point for the Black Knights.
Army won all six matches in singles play, including five in straight sets. Freshman Sam Lampman notched a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Sacred Heart's Brian Power at the top position, while Riechmann and junior Peter Sienko managed wins from the No. 2 and No. 3 singles slots, respectively.
Junior Roman Cacha took a 6-0, 6-4 decision at No. 4, and sophomore Ben Davies got past Sacred Heart's Alex Bose, 6-0, 6-2, in the sixth position. Barnes clinched the Black Knights' shutout by persevering from an opening set loss to win 5-7, 6-2, 10-7 at the No. 5 spot.
Army improves to 2-1 all-time versus Sacred Heart.
The Black Knights are back at Lichtenberg Tennis Center on Sunday when they host Fairfield at 12 p.m.
Army 7, Sacred Heart 0
1. Grant Riechmann/Harrison McCormick (A) def. Kevin Budrawich/Matt Dean (S) 8-5
2. Kyle Barnes/Austin McCasin (A) def. Anthony Savio/Luka Bagi (S) 8-1
3. Justin Pagan/Brian Power (S) def. Peter Sienko/Henry Jang-Milsten (A) 8-7 (5)
1. Sam Lampman (A) def. Brian Power (S) 6-3, 6-2
2. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Justin Pagan (S) 6-1, 6-4
3. Peter Sienko (A) def. Matt Dean (S) 6-2, 6-1
4. Roman Cacha (A) def. Kevin Budrawich (S) 6-0, 6-4
5. Kyle Barnes (A) def. Ryan Wennberg (S) 5-7, 6-2, 10-7
6. Ben Davies (A) def. Alex Bose (S) 6-0, 6-2