March 19, 2014
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The Army men's tennis team took the doubles point, but was upended in singles competition during a 4-3 setback at Loyola Marymount at the LMU Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon. The Black Knights drop to 8-4 after the defeat, while the Lions improve to 8-5.
Sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann dropped a closely contested No. 1 doubles match, but Army secured wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots, respectively, to give the Black Knights a 1-0 lead following doubles action. Sophomore Austin McCasin and freshman Kyle Barnes earned an 8-7 victory at No. 2, and the pairing of senior Henry Jang-Milsten and junior Peter Sienko picked up an 8-3 decision at the third position.
Loyola Marymount posted wins in each of the top four singles matches, while Army managed victories at No. 5 and No. 6. Sophomore Caison Best was the only Black Knight to force a third set, as he won by a 6-3 margin in the opener at No. 3 before falling to 6-4 and 6-1 defeats in the second and third sets, respectively. McCormick bested Loyola Marymount freshman Luke Bohuslav, 6-3, 6-4, at the fifth position, while Army junior Roman Cacha won, 6-3, 6-3, over the Lions' Daniel Simko in the No. 6 singles match.
The Black Knights return home to open Patriot League play with three matches this weekend. Army hosts Lafayette (9 a.m.) and Holy Cross (12 p.m.) on Saturday, March 22 before welcoming Colgate (12 p.m.) on March 23.
Loyola Marymount 4, Army 3
1. Sebastian Bustamante/Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (ARMY) 8-7 (10-8)
2. Kyle Barnes/Austin McCasin (ARMY) def. Luke Bohuslav/Daniel Simko (LMU) 8-7 (9-7)
3. Henry Jang-Milsten/Peter Sienko (ARMY) def. David Doehring/Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 8-3
1. David Doehring (LMU) def. Asika Isoh (ARMY) 7-5, 6-3
2. Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Grant Riechmann (ARMY) 6-1, 6-2
3. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Caison Best (ARMY) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) def. Alex Van Velzer (ARMY) 6-4, 6-4
5. Harrison McCormick (ARMY) def. Luke Bohuslav (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Roman Cacha (ARMY) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-3, 6-3