March 15, 2014
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. - The Army men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision in a nonconference match at the University of California at Irvine on Saturday afternoon at Newport Beach Tennis Club. After the loss, the Black Knights fall to 7-3, while the Anteaters improve to 8-9.
Sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann paired up for an 8-7 victory at the top doubles flight, but UC Irvine picked up wins at the No. 2 and 3 spots to collect the doubles point.
Riechmann tallied Army's only singles triumph of the afternoon, as he notched a 6-3, 4-6, 10-3 win from the third position. Senior Asika Isoh and junior Alex Van Velzer each fell in first-set tiebreakers, while dropping their respective matches in two sets. Isoh took a 7-6, 6-4 setback at No. 1, while Van Velzer dropped a 7-6, 6-0 decision at the No. 5 slot.
The Black Knights are back in action tomorrow when they take on UC Riverside at 3 p.m. ET.
UC Irvine 6, Army 1
1. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (A) def. Jonathan Hammel/Tyler Pham (UCI) 8-7
2. Ryan Cheung/Jonathan Poon (UCI) def. Austin McCasin/Kyle Barnes (A) 8-3
3. Justin Agbayani/Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Sam Lampman/Rommel Verano (A) 8-6
1. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Asika Isoh (A) 7-6, 6-4
2. Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Sam Lampman (A) 6-2, 6-0
3. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) 6-3, 4-6, 10-3
4. Rafael Davidian (UCI) def. Caison Best (A) 6-1, 6-1
5. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) def. Alex Van Velzer (A) 7-6, 6-0
6. Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Austin McCasin (A) 6-1, 6-2