March 3, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. – In what was the busiest stretch of matches in recent memory, Army men’s tennis secured a 4-0 record through three days of play capped by a 2-0 mark in a Sunday double header. The Black Knights defeated Quinnipiac 6-1 to begin the morning before cruising to a 6-1 win over Monmouth on Sunday evening en route to an 8-2 overall mark.
“I’m really proud of how we played this weekend,” said Army head coach Jim Poling. “This was the most we’ve played as far as I can remember in one weekend, which concerned me at first, but it turned out well. We were able to use a diverse lineup – 14 guys contributed to our wins this weekend. We played hard and beat some competitive teams. It was a great way to send us into spring break.”
In addition to the Black Knights’ wins over Quinnipiac and Monmouth, Army defeated also defeated Boston University on Friday and Sacred Heart on Saturday.
Reigning Patriot League Player of the Month freshman Harrison McCormick maintained his flawless record with two more doubles wins and a singles victory on Sunday. McCormick paired with junior Asika Isoh for both doubles wins as the duo is 9-0 in duals this season, including seven wins at No. 1. McCormick defeated QU’s Eric Ambrosio, 3-6, 6-0, 7-5, for improve to 8-0 this spring.
Sophomore Alex Van Velzer made his dual-season debut on Sunday following a winter of recovery from injury. Van Velzer earned a straight-set win over QU’s Garett Lane, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 5 to begin the year.
Army will hit the road for its next set of four matches as the Black Knights will travel to central Florida for spring break. Army will play Appalachian State in a neutral-site contest on March 10 in Orlando, Fla., and will follow with matches against Central Florida, Bethune Cookman and Northern Illinois.
Army 6, Quinnipiac 1
1. Isoh, Asika (ARMY) def. BARBERO, Sebastian (QU-M) 6-3, 7-5
2. FAHOUM, Fahoum (QU-M) def. Shelton, Rashad (ARMY) 6-4, 2-6, 12-10
3. McCormick, Harrison (ARMY) def. AMBROSIO, Eric (QU-M) 3-6, 6-0, 7-5
4. McCasin, Austin (ARMY) def. ROSER, Luke (QU-M) 6-7 (6-8), 7-6 (7-4), 11-9
5. Van Velzer, Alex (ARMY) def. LANE, Garett (QU-M) 6-3, 6-0
6. Cacha, Roman (ARMY) def. MORGENSTERN, Corey (QU-M) 6-0, 6-1
1. ISOH, Asika/MCCORMICK, Harrison (ARMY) def. FAHOUM, Fahoum/ROSER, Luke (QU-M) 8-3
2. BEST, Caison/SHELTON, Rashad (ARMY) def. AMBROSIO, Eric/LAZEROWICH, Alex (QU-M) 8-6
3. SIENKO, Peter/JANG-MILSTEN, Henry (ARMY) def. BARBERO, Sebastian/LANE, Garett (QU-M) 8-6
Army 6, Monmouth 1
1. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) def. Best, Caison (ARMY) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 10-4
2. Sienko, Peter (ARMY) def. BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 7-5, 2-6, 10-1
3. Shelton, Rashad (ARMY) def. PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) 7-6 (7-1), 3-6, 6-1
4. Davies, Benjamin (ARMY) def. ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 6-4, 6-3
5. Cacha, Roman (ARMY) def. PIERCE, Eric (MU-M) 6-0, 6-0
6. Hatala, Joseph (ARMY) def. TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 6-2, 6-0
1. ISOH, Asika/MCCORMICK, Harrison (ARMY) def. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY/BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 8-6
2. ROTHSTEIN, Jason/PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) def. VAN VELZER, Alex/MCCASIN, Austin (ARMY) 8-3
3. PROCTOR, David/JANG-MILSTEN, Sam (ARMY) def. PIERCE, Eric/TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 8-3