March 2, 2014
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Army men's tennis team suffered a 4-2 setback to service-academy rival Air Force on Sunday afternoon to finish 1-1 in Charleston, S.C., after topping The Citadel on Friday. The Black Knights fall to 7-2 after the defeat, while the Falcons improve to 9-2.
Army's pairing of sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann picked up an 8-4 win at the top doubles position, but Air Force's tandems of senior Alex Grubbs and sophomore Jack McCullers, and junior Grant Taylor and freshman Lucas Fumagalli took decisions in the No. 2 and No. 3 matches, respectively, to give the Falcons a 1-0 lead after doubles action.
The Black Knights collected victories at each of the top two singles positions, with senior Asika Isoh and freshman Sam Lampman grabbing wins at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively. Isoh bested senior Andy Jackson, 6-2, in the first set before winning a 7-6 (5) tiebreaker to take the second set and the match, while Lampman moved past senior Steven Young, 6-1, 6-1.
Air Force got the better of Army at the No. 3, 4 and 5 singles slots, while the No. 6 match went unfinished. At the No. 4 spot, junior Alex Van Velzer won the first set over Grubbs, 6-2, but was handed setbacks in each of the next two sets, falling to a 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 defeat.
Army returns to action on Saturday, March 15, when it travels to California to face UC Irvine at 2 p.m. before meeting UC Riverside on March 16.
Air Force 4, Army 2
1. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (ARMY) def. Andy Jackson/Steven Young (AF) 8-4
2. Alex Grubbs/Jack McCullers (AF) def. Austin McCasin/Kyle Barnes (ARMY) 8-4
3. Grant Taylor/Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Henry Jang-Milsten/Peter Sienko (ARMY) 8-6
1. Asika Isoh (ARMY) def. Andy Jackson (AF) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
2. Sam Lampman (ARMY) def. Steven Young (AF) 6-1, 6-1
3. Jack McCullers (AF) def. Grant Riechmann (ARMY) 6-3, 6-4
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Alex Van Velzer (ARMY) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Austin McCasin (ARMY) 6-2, 6-2
6. Andrew Parks (AF) vs. Peter Sienko (ARMY) 1-6, 6-2, 2-1 (DNF)