Feb. 28, 2014
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Army men's tennis team posted a 7-0 shutout victory over The Citadel during a non-conference match on Friday afternoon at the Earl Tennis Center. With the win, the Black Knights improve to 7-1 overall, while the Bulldogs drop to 2-11.
The Citadel's senior tandem of Dillon Berkabile and Elliott Sperr earned a 9-8 decision over Army's top duo, senior Asika Isoh and sophomore Harrison McCormick, at the No. 1 doubles spot, but the Black Knights would collect the next two matches to claim the doubles point. At No. 2, sophomore Austin McCasin and freshman Kyle Barnes bested their opponents, 8-4, while seniors Henry Jang-Milsen and Rommel Verano won, 8-5, at the third position.
Singles play saw the Black Knights take all six matches, with freshmen Sam Lampman and Grant Riechmann taking decisions at the No. 1 and No. 2 slots, respectively. Lampman defeated Sperr, 7-5, 7-5, and Riechmann outlasted Berkabile, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6, in a three-set affair.
Junior Alex Van Velzer triumphed, 6-2, 6-1, at the third position, and McCasin managed a 7-5, 6-4 victory at No. 4. Juniors Peter Sienko and Roman Cacha took wins at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively, with Sienko winning, 6-3, 7-5, and Cacha earning a 6-0, 6-0 decision.
Army is back on the court on Sunday, when its faces service-academy rival Air Force in Charleston, S.C., at 11 a.m.
Army 7, The Citadel 0
1. Elliott Sperr/Dillon Berkabile (C) def. Asika Isoh/Harrison McCormick (A) 9-8
2. Austin McCasin/Kyle Barnes (A) def. Peter Bleach/Jackson Pride (C) 8-4
3. Henry Jang-Milsten/Rommel Verano (A) def. Oliver Dedding/Connor Grady (C) 8-5
1. Sam Lampman (A) def. Elliott Sperr (C) 7-5, 7-5
2. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Dillon Berkabile (C) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6
3. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Peter Bleach (C) 6-2, 6-1
4. Austin McCasin (A) def. Jackson Pride (C) 7-5, 6-4
5. Peter Sienko (A) def. Oliver Dedding (C) 6-3, 7-5
6. Roman Cacha (A) def. Joe Bove (C) 6-0, 6-0