Feb. 8, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army men's tennis team stayed perfect on the young 2014 season with a pair of nonconference victories on Saturday at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The Black Knights defeated Stony Brook, 4-3, in a morning match before taking down Connecticut, 5-2, in the afternoon. Army improves to 4-0 on the season after the wins, the Seawolves fall to 0-1 and the Huskies slip to 3-4.
Army earned the doubles point against Stony Brook, as the No. 2 tandem of sophomore Austin McCasin and freshman Kyle Barnes defeated Vini Degani and Alex Felisa, 6-4, while senior Henry Jang-Milsten and junior Peter Sienko earned a 6-5 (7-5) decision over Tyler Hoffman and Brandon Stone at the third position.
The teams split the six singles matches, with the Black Knights collecting wins at the top three slots and the Seawolves grabbing victories at the No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 positions. Army senior Asika Isoh defeated Felisa, 6-5 (7-4), 6-3 at the top position, and freshman Grant Riechmann battled back from a first-set defeat to knock off Marcelo Locatelli by a count of 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 2 spot. Sophomore Harrison McCormick won, 6-3, 6-5, at No. 3, while Barnes and junior Alex Van Velzer each claimed a set in their respective matches before ultimately coming up short.
In the second match of the day, Army found itself behind early after Connecticut took the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. Isoh and Van Velzer teamed up at the top doubles slot to earn a 6-3 victory over Wayne Harrell and Ryan Carr, but the Huskies collected wins of 6-4 and 6-5 at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.
Freshman Sam Lampman got past Harrell, 6-5, 6-3, at the No. 1 singles position, while Sienko, Barnes and junior Roman Cacha each posted two-set wins from the fourth, fifth and sixth positions, respectively. Riechmann rallied after dropping the opening set opposite Connecticut's Chris Toner to register a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 2.
The Black Knights return to action on Saturday, Feb. 22 when they host the two-day Army Shootout that will feature match-ups against Binghamton, Drexel and St. Bonaventure.
Army 4, Stony Brook 3
1. Asika Isoh/Harrison McCormick (A) vs. Marcelo Locatelli/Jose Morales (S) 5-4 (unfinished)
2. Austin McCasin/Kyle Barnes (A) def. Vini Degani/Alex Felisa (S) 6-4
3. Henry Jang-Milsten/Peter Sienko (A) def. Tyler Hoffman/Brandon Stone (S) 6-5 (7-5)
1. Asika Isoh (A) def. Alex Felisa (S) 6-5 (7-4) 6-3
2. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Marcelo Locatelli (S) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Harrison McCormick (A) def. Jose Morales (S) 6-3, 6-5
4. Tyler Hoffman (S) def. Alex Van Velzer (A) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Brandon Stone (S) def. Austin McCasin (A) 6-5, 6-4
6. Vini Degani (S) def. Kyle Barnes (A) 6-5, 1-6, 6-5
Army 5, Connecticut 2
1. Asika Isoh/Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Wayne Harrell/Ryan Carr (C) 6-3
2. Jacob Spreyer/Chris Toner (C) def. Sam Lampman/Rommel Verano (A) 6-4
3. Parker Goldstein/Josh Palmer (C) def. Peter Sienko/Henry Jang-Milsten (A) 6-5
1. Sam Lampman (A) def. Wayne Harrell (C) 6-5, 6-3
2. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Jacob Spreyer (C) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Chris Toner (C) def. Rommel Verano (A) 6-2, 3-6, 6-5 (7-5)
4. Peter Sienko (A) def. Ryan Carr (C) 6-5, 6-4
5. Kyle Barnes (A) def. Parker Goldstein (C) 6-3, 6-1
6. Roman Cacha (A) def. Zac McEntee (C) 6-2, 6-2