Feb. 2, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army men's tennis team picked up its second win in as many days after defeating Niagara, 7-0, on Sunday afternoon at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. With the victory, the Black Knights improve to 2-0, while the Purple Eagles slip to 0-1.
In doubles competition, sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann paired up for a 6-1 win at the top spot, while senior Henry Jang-Milsten and junior Peter Sienko picked up a 6-4 decision from the third position.
Riechmann grabbed his second win of the day with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Niagara's Michael Elortegui at the No. 1 singles slot. Freshman Sam Lampman and junior Alex Van Velzer each dropped their opening set before battling back to take the next two in their respective matches. After falling to Niagara's David Raymond in the initial set, Lampman rallied to win 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2, while Van Velzer completed his comeback with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory from No. 3.
Sophomores Ben Davies and Austin McCasin earned straight-set wins from the No. 4 and No. 5 singles positions, respectively, and freshman Kyle Barnes rebounded from a second-set loss to win 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.
Army is back in action on Saturday, February 8 when it hosts dual matches against Stony Brook (9 a.m.) and Connecticut (4 p.m.) at Lichtenberg Tennis Center.
Army 7, Niagara 0
1. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (A) def. Olivier Dufour-Coursol/David Raymond (N) 6-1
2. Rommel Verano/Sam Lampman (A) vs. Inaki Belloso/Michael Elortegui (N), not finished
3. Henry Jang-Milsten/Peter Sienko (A) vs. Mathieu Lacasse/Lorenz Schwojer (N) 6-4
1. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Michael Elortegui (N) 6-3, 6-4
2. Sam Lampman (A) def. David Raymond (N) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Olivier Dufour-Coursol (N) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Ben Davies (A) def. Inaki Belloso (N) 6-3, 6-5
5. Austin McCasin (A) def. Lorenz Schwojer (N) 6-5, 6-1
6. Kyle Barnes (A) def. Mathieu Lacasse (N) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2