Men's Soccer Falls To Lehigh, 1-0, In Double Overtime

Box Score

WEST POINT, N.Y. - Ben Wysocki scored off a feed from Joe Puleo with less than four minutes remaining in the second overtime to lift Lehigh to a 1-0 victory over Army in a Patriot League men's soccer match Sunday afternoon at Clinton Field.

Puleo ran down the ball in the right corner of the field and sent a cross to Wysocki, who beat Army sophomore goalkeeper Ryan Currens from six yards out for his first goal of the season with 3:22 to play in the second overtime period.

Lehigh (8-6-2, 4-1-1 PL) outshot Army 20-15 in the contest, and the Mountain Hawks also enjoyed a 10-8 advantage in corner kicks.

Sophomore forward Josh Koeppe led Army (2-12-1, 0-5-1 PL) with four shots. Junior forward Tanner Robertson added three shots, while sophomore midfielder Arnold Chun took two of the Black Knights' five shots on goal.

James Meyerkord paced the Lehigh offense with a game-high six shots, including three on goal. Puleo chipped in four shots, including two on target. The Mountain Hawks held an 8-5 edge in shots on goal during the contest

Currens finished with six saves to help keep Lehigh's offense in check, while LU goalkeeper Jonathan Nydell stopped four shots to earn his seventh shutout of the season for the Mountain Hawks.

Army's best chance to score came in the 75th minute when sophomore midfielder Mitch Johnson fired a shot from close range that was saved by Nydell and deflected off the crossbar. The play started when Robertson sent a perfectly-placed corner kick into the box.

That sequence came just five minutes after an 11-second flurry that saw three Army shots be deflected by the Lehigh defense.  

Army failed to record a shot in either of the overtime periods, while Lehigh was credited with one shot in each session.

"I told the guys at the end of the game that they shouldn't have their heads hung," said first-year Army head coach Russell Payne. "Overtime can be a pretty cruel time if you don't make a play. It was a pretty back-and-forth match. Obviously the wind was a factor today. It was kind of a tale of two halves and a tale of two overtimes. They had the wind in the second overtime and they made the most of it. We had our chances today and unfortunately we didn't convert. (Mitch Johnson) hit the crossbar on the one when their keeper made a great reaction save.

"Lehigh's a good team, and we knew it was going to be a good test for us," added Payne. "We thought we were going to come out with at least a point today, based on the effort we just put in."

Army returns to action on Tuesday, Nov. 2, when the Black Knights close out their 2010 home schedule with a non-league match versus Manhattan. Kickoff for the contest is set for 7 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on ITT Knight Vision.

Notes: Prior to the game, Army honored its six seniors in a ceremony that included Army Interim Athletic Director Col. Sam Johnson ... Army also presented its first Col. John McHugh Senior Day Jersey to family and friends of Col. John McHugh, who was tragically killed in action earlier this year ... McHugh was a three-year letterwinner for the Army men's soccer team and is the program's single-season saves leader ... the all-time series between Army and Lehigh now stands at 19-17-5 in favor of the Black Knights ... Army falls to 0-4-1 in overtime games this season ... the Black Knights' modest two-game unbeaten streak was snapped.

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here