Hartford Trips Army In Overtime, 2-1

Box Score

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. - James Stamopoulos scored less than three minutes into overtime to lift Hartford past Army, 2-1, in a non-league men's soccer contest Wednesday night at Al-Marzook Field at Alumni Stadium.

Sam Groves sent a pass to Stamopoulos, who got in all alone on Army sophomore goalkeeper Ryan Currens. Stamopoulos beat Currens with the game-winning goal at the 92:44 mark, sending Army to its ninth one-goal loss of the season.

Hartford (5-7-0) opened the scoring in the 26th minute when Tomas Boyle scored off a feed from Liam Williams. Boyle tracked down Williams' pass and headed the ball past Currens to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead at the 25:05 mark.

Army (1-11-0) answered less than 15 minutes later when junior defender Jeffrey Pickett scored his second goal of the season at the 40:01 mark. Sophomore forward Michael Kim was credited with an assist on the goal as he started the play with a corner kick. Pickett settled Kim's pass before blasting a high shot that beat Hartford goalkeeper Luke Citriniti to the upper right-hand corner of the cage.

"Jeff's been one of our best contributors all year long and I'm not surprised that he scored," said Army head coach Russell Payne. "You create your own luck, and good things happen when you put yourself out there."

Hartford outshot Army by a slim 5-3 margin in the first half, but both teams fired three shots on goal in the period. The Black Knights enjoyed a 3-2 advantage in corner kicks during the opening stanza.

Neither team generated much offense in the second half with Hartford recording three shots and Army registering one. Each side received one corner kick apiece in the second half.

Hartford did not waste any time in the extra session, scoring on its first shot of the period.

The Hawks outshot the Black Knights 9-4 in the contest. Army held a 4-3 edge in corner kicks in the match.

Currens finished with three saves in the Black Knights' cage, while Citriniti stopped two shots for the Hawks.

"I don't think we took enough chances tonight," said Payne, who is in his first season guiding the Black Knights' program. "I thought we created some dangerous chances when we were aggressive, but we were uncharacteristically hesitant tonight.

"It's extremely disappointing to not come away with anything from this game. It hurts deeply to play this hard and still come away with a loss. We have to do a better job of helping ourselves, and we will. We have five games left and we will come away with something this year. We just have to create our own luck and continue to attack."

Army will return to its Patriot League schedule on Saturday, Oct. 23, when the Black Knights travel to Easton, Pa., to battle Lafayette College. Kickoff for the conference clash is set for 7 p.m.

Notes: Tonight's match marked the first meeting between the two schools ... Army has scored in consecutive games for the first time since beginning the season by scoring in two straight matches ... Michael Kim leads the team with three assists ... Army drops to 0-3-0 in overtime contests this season.

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here