Holy Cross Defeats Army On PKs In PL Semifinal

Sean Mogan

Sean Mogan

Nov. 15, 2013

Box Score

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Senior back Dane Kenny scored the clinching penalty kick to send third-seeded Holy Cross past the second-seeded Army men's soccer team in a Patriot League Championship semifinal match on Friday evening at Glenn Warner Soccer Facility. The match stood deadlocked 1-1 after double overtime before the Crusaders took a 4-3 decision in a penalty shootout.

The Black Knights, which are ranked ninth in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Mid-Atlantic Region poll, conclude their season 12-3-3 overall, while the Crusaders, who will advance to Sunday's Patriot League Championship title game, move to 9-8-2. Navy won the right to host the league semifinals after finishing first in the regular season.

Freshman midfielder Alex Jaroscak scored for Army in the Black Knights' first Patriot League Championship appearance since 1996. Junior midfielder Sean Mogan picked up an assist, while classmate Winston Boldt made five saves.

Holy Cross received a goal from freshman forward Joey DeVivo, and senior midfielder Monty Sanders was credited with an assist. Sophomore keeper Kevin Wright stopped four shots.

The Black Knights had a pair of early chances in the first half, as freshmen Nick Williams and Tanner Vosvick fired shots in the 17th and 20th minutes, respectively, but both attempts resulted in saves by Wright. Williams sent another shot on frame following a corner kick in the 37th minute, but was still unable to solve Wright and the Crusader defense. Both of Holy Cross' first half chances went high of the Army goal.

The Crusaders moved in front, 1-0, when DeVivo received a lead pass from Sanders and beat Boldt in a one-on-one situation in the 55th minute. The Black Knights quickly answered though, as Jaroscak's 56th-minute tally off Mogan's free kick made the score 1-1 and came just 1:02 after Holy Cross' go-ahead goal. Boldt was tested with a trio of Crusader shots during a 2:51 stretch with around 15 minutes remaining in regulation, but stopped the only shot on goal of the sequence to keep the match 1-1. Each team took one shot in the second half's final 13:38, but neither attempt was successful.

Holy Cross outshot Army 3-1 in the first overtime period, as Boldt made saves in the 96th and 97th minutes, respectively, to keep the match level. Boldt made two more stops in double overtime on a pair of 105th minute chances that came 21 ticks apart. Neither side registered a shot in the final 5:23 of the second overtime.

Vosvick and senior midfielder Jason Lewis each scored on their penalty attempts as Army's first two shooters to give the Black Knights a 2-0 lead. Holy Cross was unsuccessful on its first and second penalty kicks. Senior back Max Pettinelli scored for the Crusaders to make it 2-1 before Jaroscak buried his attempt in the lower left corner to give Army a 3-1 advantage. Holy Cross connected on its final three attempts, as senior forward Tommy Uttaro and Sanders each scored before Kenny won it on his team's sixth penalty kick.

Match Notes: Army leads 16-14-2 in its all-time series against Holy Cross ... the match is Army's first appearance in the Patriot League Championship since 1996, and it's sixth overall appearance in the postseason tournament ... Friday's contest marked the first Patriot League Championship meeting between the Black Knights and the Crusaders ... the Black Knights' all-time Patriot League Championship record moves to 7-2-2 overall, and 4-0-2 in semifinal matches.

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here