Brad Roberts
Ice Hockey Home

Hockey Hands Out Team Awards

Army West Point to Take Part in BROOKLYN HOCKEY Event

Pham, Zaremba Earn Atlantic Hockey Postseason Awards

Follow all of the college ice hockey action at

Email this to a friend

Army Battles Bentley To 3-3 Overtime Tie

Oct. 22, 2004

Box Score

WALTHAM, Mass. - Bentley scored twice in the third period, including the equalizer with 27 seconds left in the game, to force overtime and eventually tie Army, 3-3, Friday night at John A. Ryan Arena in Waltham, Mass.

Entering the final 20 minutes of play with a 2-1 advantage, Army (2-1-1 overall, 0-1-1 Atlantic Hockey) quickly added to its lead with a power play goal by Michael Picone 2 minutes, 20 seconds into the final session. The sophomore forward banged in a rebound of a shot by Chris Garceau, giving the visitors a two-goal advantage. However, Carmen Posteraro cut that deficit in half at the 14:53 mark on a re-direction in front of Black Knights' goaltender Brad Roberts.


That is the way things stood until Army was whistled for an interference penalty, while on the power play, with 40 ticks remaining. Bentley head coach Ryan Soderquist pulled goalie Simon St. Pierre, creating a five-on-four situation for the hosts, and Matt Tyree notched the equalizer to send the game into overtime.

The tie came at a high cost for the Black Knights. With 4:36 remaining in the third period, Roberts collided with a Bentley player while racing for a loose puck in Army's defensive zone. The junior netminder injured his knee in the collision and did not return to the game. Sophomore Treye Kettwick replaced Roberts in goal, taking the Black Knights home with a hard-fought point on the road.

"Under extremely tough circumstances, Kettwick came in and made some big saves in the third period and the overtime," Army head coach Brian Riley said. "He really came through when we needed him to pick up a point on the road.

"Believe me, every point you can get on the road is important. Winning is a learning process. Hopefully, we learned something tonight and will find a way to come home with a `W' the next time."

Roberts recorded 29 saves in 55:24 before leaving with the injury. Kettwick earned the decision in net, going the final 9:46 and making eight saves. St. Pierre was credited with 21 stops for Bentley.

Bentley (0-1-2, 0-1-1) scored first on a slap shot that beat Roberts high over the shoulder midway through the first period. Seth Beamer evened things up for the Black Knights, taking advantage of a five-on-three power play, with three minutes to go in the opening frame. Beamer beat St. Pierre off a feed from Bryce Hollweg on a nice back door move. Chris Migliaro also picked up an assist on the play.

Chad Fifield put Army up 2-1 in the second period at the 7:04 mark with assists credited to Aaron Anderson and Garceau. Fifield's tally was the only marker of the middle period. Garceau finished with two points on the evening.

Army returns home Saturday night to face ECACHL power Rensselaer at Tate Rink. Faceoff is set for 7 p.m.

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here