Army Drops One-Goal Decision To Connecticut

Brian Schultz

Brian Schultz

Feb. 22, 2013

Final Stats

WEST POINT, N.Y.  – Brian Schultz and Willie Faust had a goal and assist but Connecticut held on to beat Army, 4-3, Friday night in an Atlantic Hockey Association game at Tate Rink.

Shawn Pauly and Brant Harris each scored twice to pace the Huskies who improved to 15-13-3 overall and 12-10-1 in league games.

Andy Starczewski also scored for Army which is now 7-16-5 overall and 7-11-5 in league contests.

The Black Knights, coming off a 56-shot performance last weekend in an overtime tie with Bentley, out-shot Connecticut 35-20, the third straight game they held a shots on goal advantage.

Mac Lalor, Joe Kozlak and Christian Pomarico also collected assists for the Black Knights and Kozlak, Lalor and Starczewski extended scoring streaks to three games.

Connecticut goalie Matt Grogan made 32 saves while Army’s Rob Tadazak turned away 16.

Army was forced to kill a Connecticut power play attempt early in the game after a roughing whistle.

The Huskies struck first when Shawn Pauly put home his own rebound at the 14:39 mark of the first period.

Army tied the game five minutes later, seconds after its first power play ended. Faust sent a pass to Schultz who beat Grogan to knot the game at 1. It was the fourth goal of the season for Schultz and seventh assist for Faust.

The Black Knights took a 2-1 lead when Starczewski netted his eighth goal of the season. Kozlak fed the puck to Lalor just inside the blue line and Lalor ripped a slap shot. Starczewski re-directed the blast as Lalor picked up his 11th assist and Kozlak his eighth. Starczewski, Lalor and Kozlak have all picked up a point in their last three games.

Connecticut tied the game 30 seconds later when Paul y registered his second goal of the season.

The Huskies took a 3-2 lead with less than five minutes remaining in the first stanza as Brant Harris posted his 11th goal of the season.

Connecticut was awarded a five-minute power play early in the second period and took advantage when Harris scored to give the Huskies a 4-2 lead.

Army scored a power play goal of its own to cut its deficit in half. Faust netted the score, off of assists from Schultz and Pomarico with 2:50 left in the second period. It was the fourth goal for Faust, the third assist for Schultz and the first collegiate assist for Pomarico.

The Black Knights had a power play opportunity four minutes into the final session but could not get the tying goal after the roughing whistle.

Army totaled 12 shots on goal in the final period but was unable to tie score despite pulling Tadazak with 1:08 left to play.

Army will conclude its regular season series with Connecticut Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. at Tate Rink. The game has been announced as a sell-out. Army’s final regular season game is March 1 against Holy Cross and the senior members of the team will be honored. For tickets please visit, call 1-877-TIX-ARMY or stop by the Ticket Office at Gate 3 of Michie Stadium.

GAMES NOTES: Army wore its gold sweaters … Army’s starting lineup consisted of Andy Starczewski, Joe Kozlak, Maurice Alvarez, John Clark and Cheyne Rocha with Rob Tadazak in goal … Tadazak made his 27th career start … Army again utilized 11 forwards and seven defensemen.

UCONN           3-1-0—4
ARMY             2-1-0—3

First Period:
UConn – Pauly (Gerling, Cooke), 5:21
ARMY – Schultz (Faust), 9:59
ARMY – Starczewski (Lalor, Kozlak), 12:29
UConn – Pauly (Gerling, Sharib),  13:09
UConn – Harris (Latta, Sims), 15:13

Second Period:
UConn – Harris (Gerling, Ambrosie), PP, 6:27
ARMY – Faust (Schultz, Pomarico), PP, 17:10

Third Period:

Shots: Connecticut 20 (8-5-7); Army 35 (14-9-12)
Saves: Connecticut 32 (Grogan, 60:00, 12-8-12); Army 16 (Tadazak, 58:52, 5-4-7; empty net, 1:08)
Power Plays: Connecticut, 1-8; Army, 3-5
Penalties: Connecticut, 8-16; Army, 6-23
Attendance: 1,877

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here