Army Ushers In New Year With 3-1 Loss To Mercyhurst

Jan. 3, 2014

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Army hockey team ushered in 2014 with a 3-1 loss to league-leading Mercyhurst in the 500th game at Tate Rink on a snowy Friday night in the Hudson Valley. Sophomore forward Andrew O’Leary accounted for the Black Knights’ lone goal of the night, scored 13 minutes into the second period.

Playing their first game in more than two weeks, the Black Knights donned blue sweaters in honor of House of Blues night, an annual Army event that promotes prostate cancer awareness.

Mercyhurst, which entered the game with the Atlantic Hockey Association’s top offense, improved to 10-9-2 overall and 8-1-1 in conference action. Army (3-13-0, 3-8-0 AHA) held a 33-25 advantage in shots, but could not make it translate onto the scoreboard.

Both teams totaled five power play chances with the Lakers scoring twice and the Black Knights coming up empty.

Mercyhurst starting goaltender Jimmy Sarjeant made 32 saves and played all 60 minutes to earn the win, while Army junior Rob Tadazak played all but the final 33 seconds and registered 22 stops.

Army fought off a penalty in the opening two minutes of play, which contributed to the teams remaining scoreless through the first three quarters of the period. The Lakers drew first blood, however, as they made their second power play chance of the night at 17:31. The 1-0 advantage held at the first intermission.

Mercyhurst stretched its lead to 2-0 at 11:07 into the second period, but the cushion didn’t last long as the Black Knights answered at 12:31 to inch within a goal. O’Leary’s third score of the season, a rocket to the upper corner of the goal, gave Army a lift out of a timeout while rookie defenseman Ryan Nick picked up his third assist on the play.

Army appeared to have the momentum down the stretch, but a Daniel O’Donoghue goal with 17.3 seconds remaining in the second period gave the Lakers a boost along with a 3-1 lead heading into the locker room.

Facing a two-goal deficit heading into the final 20 minutes, rookie Joe Bruckler had a great scoring chance with 11:19 on the clock, but Mercyhust’s Mychal Monteith foiled the shot with a trip. It did give the Black Knights another power play chance, however, which they could not convert. That would be the Black Knights’ best chance of the period, as a late comeback was not in the cards as neither team lit the lamp in the final period.

The teams return to Tate Rink to close out the weekend series tomorrow, Jan. 4, at 7:05 p.m. Fans can watch the game online via America ONE Sports or listen to the Army call on Knight Vision. Subscription fees apply for both online offerings. For those fans living in the Hudson Valley, the game will be aired live on 1340 WALL-AM and 1380 WEOK-AM. Scoring updates will be available on Twitter by following @Army_Hockey.

Game Notes: Tonight’s game marked the return of Jack Riley, a freshman on Mercyhurst’s roster who is the eldest son of Army head coach Brian Riley … the younger Riley did not dress due to injury … starting goaltender Rob Tadazak sported an ACU (Army Combat Uniform) helmet for Friday night’s contest … Army’s starters also included Brian Schultz, Shane Hearn, Willie Faust, Christian Pomarico and Garret Peterson … Peterson made his first collegiate start … rookie goaltender Tanner Creel returned to the lineup from injury as Army dressed three goalies.

MERCYHURST           1-2-0 – 3
ARMY                      0-1-0 – 1

First Period:
MERCYHURST – Dado (Misiak, Shiplo), 17:31

Second Period:
MERCYHURST – Zay (Just, Jones), 11:07
ARMY – O’Leary (Nick), 12:52
MERCYHURST – O’Donoghue (Gettinger, Zay), 19:43

Third Period:

Shots: Army 33 (11-13-9); Mercyhurst 25 (9-8-8)
Mercyhurst 32 (Sarjeant, 60:00, 11-12-9); Army 22 (Tadazak, 59:27, 8-6-8; empty net, 0:33)
Power Plays:
Mercyhurst, 2-5; Army, 0-5
Mercyhurst, 5-10; Army, 5-10

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here