Army Falls To TCU, 31-17

Statistics Postgame Quotes Postgame Notes

WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) - TCU recovered from a fumble on the opening kickoff to score 31 unanswered points en route to a 31-17 victory over Army on Saturday.

Austin Miller gave Army a 3-0 lead less than two minutes into the game after John Plumstead recovered Donald Massey's fumble on the kickoff return. It was the last time the Black Knights led.

After going up 7-3, the Horned Frogs (4-2) turned four second-quarter Army turnovers into 24 points for a 31-3 lead at halftime. TCU outgained Army 274 to 31 in the first 30 minutes. Nick Sanders made two interceptions, returning the second one 21 yards for a touchdown.

TCU, which was coming off a 16-day break, finished with 359 yards to Army's 196.

Sanders' interceptions came during a stretch in which Army (3-5) lost the ball three consecutive times on its first play from scrimmage. TCU followed each turnover with a touchdown, and then forced a fumble on the kickoff following the third TD, leading to a field goal 14 seconds before halftime.

The Horned Frogs held the ball for almost nine minutes more than Army in the first half, when the Black Knights had only one first down. Jeff Ballard was 8-for-14 for 139 yards in the first half, including a 13-yard touchdown to Chad Andrus and a 51-yard completion to Shae Reagan. Ballard went 13-for-23 for 169 yards and an interception.

Lonta Hobbs gave TCU a 7-3 lead on a 2-yard run that capped an 11-play, 89-yard drive early in the first quarter. It was the Horned Frogs' longest scoring drive of the season.

Despite its opportunist start, Army ran only 10 plays and netted no yards to TCU's 117 yards in the first quarter.

TCU's kicking tandem missed two of three field goal attempts. Peter LoCoco missed from 41 yards and then Chris Manfredini twice hit the left upright, though the second time the ball caromed through for a 24-yard field goal.

Army outscored TCU 14-0 in the second half, with freshman quarterback Carson Williams replacing junior David Pevoto, who fumbled a handoff and was 0-for-5 with two interceptions. Williams was 12-for-18 for 110 yards and an interception.

Williams went 7-for-8 with 41 yards in his first series after the break, but Army didn't get any closer than TCU's 38-yard line before punting.

Corey Anderson ran 50 yards for a touchdown on a reverse later in the third quarter to help trim TCU's advantage to 31-10. Caleb Campbell returned an interception 8 yards for a score and forced a fumble on TCU's next possession.

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here