Nov. 12, 2011
Final Stats |
• Army offically was eliminated from bowl contention with Saturday’s loss. The Black Knights are now 3-7 on the season.
• Army lost its sixth straight game away from West Point. All three of the Black Knights’ victories have come on the banks of the Hudson.
• Rutgers took a 20-18 lead in the all-time series. The Scarlet Knights have now won eight in a row against Army.
• Sophmore WR Anthony Stephens used the locker of Yankee captain Derek Jeter.
• Army dropped to 14-21-5 all-time at Yankee Stadium.
• The Black Knights have lost 18 straight games when trailing after three quaters.
• The Black Knights’ were +2 (2-0) in turnover margin, suffering only their third loss under head coach Rich Ellerson when winning the turnvoer battle (11-3). It was only the second time they lost a game under Ellerson when holding at least a +2 edge.
• Freshman QB Angel Santiago made his first career start. Santiago is the third Army player to start at quarterback this season following junior Trent Steelman and senior Max Jenkins.
• With plebe Stephen Fraser making his first career start at running back, the Black Knights’ starting backfield consisted of three freshman and a junior. Fraser and Santiago were the ninth and 10th plebes to crack the starting lineup this season.
• Senior OG Jordan Pleasants made his first career start.
• Army rushed for a season-low 228 yards. It was only the second time this season the Black Knights have been held under 300 yards rushing. The team’s previous low was 270 yards at Vanderbilt.
• Freshman FB Larry Dixon ran for a career-best 93 yards and a touchdown. Dixon has scored a rushing touchdown in three straight games.
• Army’s leading rusher, sophomore Raymond Maples, missed the game with a head injury suffered during the week in practice.
• Senior WR Davyd Brooks tied his career high with three receptions.
• Army’s 15 pass attempts were the most since throwing the ball 16 times in the season opener at Northern Illinois. Army’s six completions exceeded the team’s total from the previous three games combined (4).
• Army allowed just 314 yards of total offense, the third straight week the Black Knights have held opponents to less than 320 yards.
• The Black Knights intercepted two passes in a game for the third time this season. Sophomore Thomas Holloway and junior Kyler martin each made their first career interceptions.
• Holloway led the Black Knights with a career-high 14 tackles.
• Freshman Jacob Drozd registered his second sack of the season, Army’s only quarterback takedown of the game.
• Army limited Rutgers to 118 rushing yards. It was the fifth time the Black Knights kept their opponent to less than 120 yards on the ground this season.
• Freshman Hayden Pierce missed his first career game. Pierce started Army’s first nine games, but was injured last week at Air Force.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
• Rutgers’ blocked punt for a touchdown was the second against Army this season. Northern Illinois accomplished the feat on Army’s first punt of the season.
• Senior PK Alex Carlton drilled field goals of 18 yards and 19 yards to move into second place on the Army all-time ledger. Carlton’s 36 career field goals rank behind Craig Stopa’s 48 field goals from 1982-85.
• Sophmore KR Scott Williams recorded a career-long 36-yard return, the Black Knight’s longest of the season.