Brown's Buzzer Beater Lifts Black Knights To OT Win

Box Score
Postgame Quotes

WEST POINT, N.Y.  Jarell Brown’s jumper as time expired in overtime lifted the Army men’s basketball team to a 59-57 victory over Colgate on Saturday afternoon at Christl Arena. The victory snapped the Black Knights’ seven-game losing streak to the Raiders and evened Army’s record to 11-11 overall and 4-4 in conference play.

Brown finished the game with a team-high 19 points. He also collected five rebounds and three steals 41 minutes of work. Doug Williams recorded his second career double-double with 12 points and game-high 12 rebounds.

Brown’s heroics were set up by a frantic final two minutes. With Army ahead, 55-54, Colgate’s Willie Morse drilled a three-pointer from the top of the key as the shot clock expired, giving the Raiders a 57-55 lead with 2:01 to go. Brown missed the tying shot attempt, but the Raiders knocked the ball out of bounds giving the Black Knights the ball underneath their own basket. On the ensuing inbound play, the Raiders were whistled for a foul, and Williams drained both free throws to knot the game at 57-576 with 1:30 to go. Josh Miller came up with a key defensive play, stealing the ball on the Raiders’ next possession. The ball would never go back across the halfcourt line into Colgate’s offensive end for the remainder of the contest.

Williams snared one of Army’s season-high 21 offensive rebounds following a missed three by Brown to keep the ball with the Black Knights. Colgate’s Kendall Chones corralled the rebound after another missed three by Brown, but was called for traveling after Army’s Corban Bates applied defensive pressure. After a timeout by Colgate, Army inbounded the ball to Brown who drove to the right side and tried to draw contact. There was no whistle and his shot attempt was off the mark, but the ball deflected off the Raiders with 0.7 seconds left, by rule enough time for a catch and shot attempt. Grant Carter inbounded the ball to Brown, who came off a baseline screen and turned and fired. The ball settled into the net as the horn sounded, giving the Black Knights’ their first overtime victory since 2002.

In addition to Brown’s and Williams’ scoring, Cleveland Richard scored nine points, seven of them in the first half.  Bates chipped in with six points, three rebounds and three steals. Jon Sizemore led the squad with four assists.

Chones was the game’s top scorer with 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds. Kyle Roemer added 16 points, while Alex Woodhouse narrowly missed a double-double with eight points and 11 rebounds.

Army outrebounded the Raiders, 39-36, including the 21 offensive boards. The Black Knights shot just 35.9 percent fro the game, but limited Colgate to only 25 percent from three-point range and forced 20 Raider turnovers. The Black Knights tied a season high with 13 steals.

The Black Knights overcame a two-point halftime deficit to force the overtime session. After losing 13 in a row when trailing at intermission, the Black Knights have recorded four second half comebacks since the Florida Gulf Coast game this season, including back-to-back wins versus Bucknell and Colgate.

The started well for the Black Knights as they took a 3-2 lead on Richard’s second three-pointer of the season. The Raiders scored five of the next seven to take a 7-5 lead, but Brown drilled the first of his four three-pointers to give Army an 8-7 lead. The teams traded baskets before a Brown three-pointer pushed Army’s lead to four at 13-9, its largest margin of the first half. Colgate tied the game at 15-15, but Richard put Army ahead 17-15, going coast to coast for a layup after a steal with 10:01 left. The Black Knights went ice cold from the floor as the Raiders used a 9-0 run over the next 8:29 to take a 24-19 lead. Army was 0 for 10 from the floor with four turnovers during the drought.

Tyrell Thompson got Army back on track with a jumper and scored again to cut the lead to 24-21. Following a Colgate free throw, the Black Knights had the final possession of the half. Chris Walker kept a missed jumper alive and Miller leaped for the ball, grabbed it and put it up in one motion. The ball found its mark as the first-half clock expired, sending Army into the locker room down 25-23.

Richard scored the first points of the second half to tie the game at 25-25 but the Raiders scored the next four points. Down 31-27, Army went on a 6-1 spurt to regain the lead on a putback bucket by Williams with 13:23 left in regulation. A Roemer three-pointer quickly gave the Raiders a two-point advantage, but two Williams free throws tied the game for the fifth time at 35-35 with 11:55 to go. Colgate scored the next four to lead 41-27, but Sizemore ignited an 11-2 Army spurt with his only basket of the game. Brown’s three-pointer capped the run and gave the Black Knights a 48-43 lead, their largest of the game.

Chones came right back on the next possession and finished an old-fashioned three-point play to cut the lead to a basket. Bates scored to give Army a four-point lead, but Chones again was able to cut into the lead with a free throw. On Colgate’s next possession, Brown tipped the rebound toward halfcourt where Miller scooped up the ball and went all the way to the rim for an uncontested layup and a 52-47 lead. Roemer kept the Raiders hopes alive with a three-pointer with 35 seconds left. After two missed free throws by the Black Knights, he rebounded his own miss and tied the game at 52-52. Army called timeout with less than 12 seconds left and drew up a play for Carter, but his three-pointer from the corner bounced off the rim. Colgate grabbed the ball and called timeout with what appeared to be 0.4 seconds left, but the officials put time back on the clock and gave the Raiders possession with 1.9 left. Their full-court pass was tipped out of bounds with 0.3 seconds left. Army tried a “Hail Mary” play, but the ball was knocked away sending the contest into overtime.

Army scored the first basket of the extra session on Brown’s fourth three of the game. Chones cut the lead to one when he scored off a rebound of his own miss. Army missed two free throws, and the Raiders rebounded to set up the final two minutes of action.

The overtime win snapped a five-game losing streak for Army in games decided after regulation. Their last victory was a 93-92 decision at Brown on Jan. 2, 2002.

Army remains at home for a Wednesday night matchup with Holy Cross. Tip-off at Christl Arena is set for 7 p.m. The Black Knights’ ended the Crusaders’ 23-game home winning streak with a 53-39 win at the Hart Center on Jan. 16. Army has never swept a season series with Holy Cross either as members of the Patriot League (since 1990-91) or the MAAC (1981-82 through 1989-90).

Game Notes: This season Army has stopped a 15-game losing streak to Bucknell, a 13-game losing streak versus Holy Cross and a seven-game skid against Colgate ... Army is 4-4 in league play for the first time since 2001-02 ... For the first time since joining the league in 1990-91, the Black Knights have defeated every other Patriot League team at least once in a two-season span ... The win snapped Colgate’s 11-game winning streak versus service academies (7 vs. Army, 4 vs. Navy) ... Jon Sizemore was in the starting lineup for the first time this season, marking Army’s 11th starting five in 22 games ... Sizemore’s four assists were a career high ... Army is now 2-0 this season when Cleveland Richard makes a three-pointer ... The game marked the second time in the last four meetings with Colgate the game has been decided in overtime ... Army  has won back-to-back Patriot League games for the first time this season.

Knight Vision


SHOP NOW at the
Official Online Store




    Click Here